South devon dating online
A new House of Industry was set up on a site at the north side of the Liffey, leaving the existing premises continuing to operate as a Foundling Hospital.The subsequent growth of the Foundling Hospital is illustrated by the following figures: The Foundling Hospital's popularity was no doubt due, at least in part, to its no-questions-asked policy.Their report noted that South Dublin had separate infirmaries for Roman Catholic and Protestant patients, staffed respectively by nuns (Sisters of Mercy) and deaconesses, with a large number of pauper inmates acting as nursing assistants.Although some of the deaconesses had been trained at Tottenham Hospital, the nuns lacked any formal nursing training.This body, which met monthly, had powers to place people in the workhouse, and to discipline those already there if they disobeyed workhouse regulations.
Up to 100 men and 60 women slept in bunk-like beds crammed into the workhouse cellars which were 240 feet (75 metres) long by 17 feet (5 metres) wide.
The Poor Law Commissioners published a map of the new South Dublin union in their 1840 Annual Report: The existing House of Industry and Foundling Hospital were adapted under the supervision of the Commissioners' architect George Wilkinson.
The building work cost £5,608 plus £4,591 for fittings etc.
However, in the mid-1790s, the fate of the children left the Hospital started to come under scrutiny.
The very large proportion of the children admitted who shortly after admission died attracted attention on several occasions.