Cross and Mountrath Streets are of the same period. 31) The new area was described in 1834 as forming a 'handsome and commodious' approach to the town. 32) Lord Bradford continued to grant leases in the area until the 1850s, (fn. 36) In 18 dilapidated houses which closed the church in on the south were cleared away and the former grammar-school building was also demolished. 1815, and in 1851 the open space there was enlarged by further culverting. 33) and a further improvement came in 1886 when Bradford Place was completed at the junction of Bradford and Bridgeman Streets; the cenotaph there was unveiled in 1922. 34) Also in the early 1830s Goodall Street was built between High Street and Bridge Street, with Freer Street running off it. 35) There was subsequently some development on the hill-top by St. Temple Street was built through to New Street in place of a winding alley apparently . Little Hill, the narrow foot-way leading to the church from the top of High Street, was widened into what is now Church Hill, and the market house at the foot of it was pulled down. Houses and shops were then built, and in 1855 Bridge Square (soon called simply the Bridge) was described as 'the centre and most strikingly beautiful portion of the town'. 38) About 1851 too the level of Digbeth and Park Street was considerably raised. 39) In the late 1850s two Russian cannons captured during the Crimean War, a clock on a pillar, and a drinking fountain presented by F. Oerton, mayor 1854-5, were placed in the centre of the Bridge. It seems to be undergoing edits as new info becomes available. If you have any details to add, comment here or mail me: Brownhills Bob at Googlemail dot com. Staffordshire school closures are listed at this page here.Walsall College has not mentioned whether it will be open or not at the time of posting (Thursday night), so keep an eye on their Facebook page here. The bouncy castle and rodeo bull are being donated for free and the burger van is coming for free and giving us a percentage of his takings, it’s the same with the sweet stall too.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. The following survey begins with the area covered by the pre-1835 borough and then, starting with its northeasterly expansion into the foreign, works clock-wise area by area round the central district. Quentin Canal in 1918, an operation in which Walsall men took part. Another, which includes several multi-storey blocks of flats, was laid out in the cleared Oxford Street area in the later 1960s. 245) Rebuilding in the Wolverhampton Road area was still in progress in 1974. There were also several cottages in the stretch of Bloxwich Lane north of the area. 281) Littleton Street West dates from about that time. 282) Lord Hatherton granted leases in Stafford Street in the later 1840s and early 1850s, and in 1855 it was stated that the Stafford Street area had grown remarkably in the previous five years. 283) In the Town end Bank part of Green Lane Lord Hatherton granted several building leases between 18. 284) Houses and commercial property still standing on the north side of Wolverhampton Street in 1974 probably date from the earlier 19th century. Northcote Street on the west side existed by the beginning of the 20th century and Gladstone Street linking it with Hospital Street by 1913. 286) The western end of the town was described in 1867 as one 'of smoke and lime-kilns, gasworks, and Irish hordes', and in 1886 St. Marsh Street, consisting largely of commercial buildings, was laid out, and some of the properties remaining in 1974 are early examples of the use of moulded-brick ornament in Walsall. Open fields lay in three of the four spaces between the shaft and the arms, and meadow land occupied the fourth. 1) The settlement, in existence by the mid 12th century when Walsall is first mentioned, was presumably on the top of the limestone hill where the church stood by 1200. 2) Settlement spread westwards down High Street, the 'alta via' with its market-place of the 1309 borough charter, (fn. 4) to the bridge over Walsall Brook, in existence . 7) the earliest known mention of it by name, however, is in 1462. Rushall Street running north from the top of High Street existed as the road to Lichfield probably by the earlier 13th century and is named in 1339. 11) By the mid 15th century buildings there included one called 'my lord's inn', then in the hands of a tenant. 12) Peal Street running south from High Street is apparently the Hole End of 1380 and the Newgate Street of 1385-6; both names were in use in the 16th and 17th centuries, with Hall End as another variant. New Street links it with Peal Street so that there was a second route out of the town to Birmingham and London. 19) In 1914 Springhill Road was built to bypass the curve on the southern end of Ablewell Street; in 1964 that part of Ablewell Street was closed and absorbed into the site of the new Blue Coat School. 20) By the later 18th century Gorton's Yard ran from the junction of Birmingham Street and New Street over the top of the hill to St. 22) George Street (formerly Castle Lane and also called New Row and St. The old route to Wednesbury and Darlaston was bypassed in 1831 when Bradford Street was opened from the bridge to Vicarage Place. 30) In 1832 John Eglington, a Walsall builder, took a lease from Lord Bradford of land on the east side of Bradford Street. 305) the first was presumably Little Bloxwich, a name in use in 1307. There was metal-working by the early 17th century, and probably earlier, and coal-mining . There was also settlement at Wallington Heath further north round the junction of the Stafford road and Stoney Lane. 310) That was still the basic pattern in the early 1840s; there were also 11 new houses dating from . 312) and the railway station to the south-west was opened in 1858. 313) By that time Bloxwich was becoming the chief coal mining area in the parish. 314) Reeves Street existed by 1861 and Harrison Street by 1870. 315) The streets between Elmore Green Road and New Street apparently date from the later 1870s. 316) Wolverhampton Street had been cut by 1879 when the first of several terraces was built there; it was renamed Parker Street in 1890. George Street until the earlier 19th century) linked it with High Street by the later 18th century. 23) The inner streets of the borough were densely built up by the later 17th century. 24) The recipients of Mollesley's Dole on Church Hill and in Hole End numbered 526 in 1619 and 746 in 1661, those in High Street, Park Street, and Townend 516 in 1619 and 711 in 1661, and those in Rushall Street 580 and 784. He laid out Newport and Little Newport Streets, named after Viscount Newport, Lord Bradford's eldest son, and built 28 houses there. By 1974 it had been much altered, notably by the removal of the stucco ornament, and was occupied as shops and offices. Other terraces of about the same date survive to the south.
Search for walsall dating:
There’s also a Facebook page here for Walsall School Closures although obviously, being crowdsourced, the veracity of information there cannot be guaranteed.